Before writing more in detail about our tour to the Highlands day by day, I wanted to write some tips and general information that I was wondering before the tour hoping that they will help to someone else.
We have decided to go to Scotland as we were going to go to a wedding in Birmingham and as I have the visa for the UK for only 6 months, I wanted to take advantage of it :-)
Our trip to Scotland was 5 days in total – 3 days tour to Highlands and 2 days for Edinburgh. (11 – 16 August 2013)
There are many options for the tours in Scotland to the Highlands. We took Rabbie’s 3 Day Skye Tour and we were quite happy at the end of the tour.
Here is our itinerary:
- Book your tour in advance! We hardly could find a tour for our dates even if we booked it one month ago.
- Don’t expect to have a good weather. It was around 19 degrees in August with chance of rain any time of the day.
- Bring an umbrella or rain coat with you. I think rain coat is a better option as it can be windy in the Highlands.
- Get ready to get dressed with many layers. You never know when it is going to be hot or cold.
- Bring your comfortabe shoes as in some part of the tour, you will climb up the hills.
- Carry some food and water with you during the tour. Even if the bus stops for a break every two or three hours, it is handy to have your own. ( We even took a flask and filled with tea :-))
- Get on time or even before to the meeting point at the first day, if you are late may not be seated with your couple as there are only 5 rows of double seats.
- We stayed 2 nights in Portree in the Isle of Skye and we booked our B&B through Rabbie’s. I am not sure if they have the best prices or it is better to book yourself. I just booked with them since they were delivering to the hotel in Portree when you book with them.
- If you are planning to stay in Edinburgh after the tour, make sure that you book your hotel as well. There are two festivals in August in Edinburgh so the hotel prices are a bit higher and it is not very easy to find a good and cheap accomodation.